12 April 2008

I knew something was wrong...

My son’s teacher came up to me last semester and told me that she could see improvements in my son’s reading but as time progressed I’ve been having this nagging feeling that something was wrong. A few weeks ago I was sitting in the living room and I could hear my son doing his homework and his father was there to read with him. I didn’t pay much attention to what was going on but my son came over to me a few minutes later and I thought I should take a look myself and see if his reading was coming along.

It didn’t take more than a few minutes for me to figure out that my son was cheating while doing his homework. It was hard to tell at first but eventually I noticed that he was letting me to the reading – or sounding the letters in the words for him and by this making everyone think that he was reading.

My husband had the opportunity to talk with one of our son’s teachers this past week and that very same day they had performed a study on every child to see how they were doing and as I suspected my son wasn’t doing that good. As of a few days ago I have been making games and worksheets for my son and we’re working and playing with these to help him and it has to be fun.

I’m going to see if I can get a chance to talk to my son’s teacher in a few weeks to see if they have noticed any improvements by then. Because my husband is dyslectic I knew that one or both of my children could grow up to have the same disability themselves and that is why I chose to take a specific course when I was studying to get my degree in teaching and today I’m so very thankful that I got the opportunity do to that because I feel that I’m more prepared to help my child today than I would have been without the knowledge I got while taking this class.

No comments: