25 July 2006

What if...

I got a phone call yesterday and it was from a childhood friend. When I was 8 my family built a house and next door was a family with 4 kids – 2 of them where the same age as me and my brother. We lived next door to each other for 12 years and during that time I had a crush on the boy in that family and we where boyfriend/girlfriend on and off over all these years. His little sister was in love with my brother but my brother didn’t even know she was alive – basically. Me and this girl used to spend hours a day playing together, doing each others hair and we’ve kept in touch even though we both moved and we now have families of our own.

But yesterday something happened that I don’t think we could ever imagine as children – the three of us (me, my friend and her brother) got together and all of our 5 children played together and it was so much fun getting together and I felt like 15 again. I couldn’t help it but I stood there and wonder what it would have been like if this boy and I had not split up when we did and what would have happened if we had stayed together? I love my life and my family, don’t get me wrong but sometime I can't help to think ‘what if’..

No comments: